Wednesday, February 27, 2008

Top 10 Guys Recap

Well, I will say that this show was better than last week's, but I still don't think this is the best group "Idol" has ever had. Sure, these guys can all sing, but how many of them are unique or interesting? The theme this week is the 70's, and in the intro clips the guys all tell us something that America doesn't know about them.

First up is Michael Johns. They're performing in vaguely the reverse order of last week, though not exactly. He tells us he's a tennis player, which most of us who follow these contestants over the internet already knew about him. He sings Fleetwood Mac's "Go Your Own Way" and right off the bat I don't like it. He struggles to hit the high notes in the chorus and resorts to his usual Vedder-brato several times throughout this off-key debacle. My mother comments that this is just not a good song choice for him and that it would work better with a female singer. Maybe one of the girls will sing it tomorrow. Randy and Paula both give it a lukewarm review (oh, the benefits of being pimped), and Simon says it was OK, but the weakest performance they've seen from him so far. Once again Simon is the closest to giving Michael the harsh criticism he deserves.

Dreadlock boy Jason Castro is up next. The interesting fact about himself that he shares is that he's not good at doing interviews, and they show a montage of him messing up and getting frustrated while filming the video segments. It's actually kind of funny and makes Jason more likable to me. You know what? I think I may vote for him this week. He sings Andy Gibb's "I Just Want to Be Your Everything." Like last week, what he doesn't have in vocal power he makes up for in personality. He plays the guitar once again and comes across as a guy just having fun jamming. Overall, his performance is pretty cool. Randy comments that the vocals weren't that great. Paula says she thinks he's cute and that she hopes next week (which she's confident he'll be there for) he decides to perform without the guitar. Simon thinks it was a schmaltzy song choice. Oh well. You've got my vote, Jason!

Now we come to one of my early favorites based on his website interview video: Luke Menard. He tells us about his a cappella group Chapter 6, which, again, we diehards already knew about. He says you can't afford to have vocal flaws in an a cappella group, so it makes good practice for "Idol." In the clip they show of him singing with the group though, his voice sounds a bit weak. He performs Queen's "Killer Queen," and sad to say, it disappoints me. His vocals seem slightly off-key the entire time and he's a bit too falsetto-ey. Obviously that's how Queen's songs often are, but it just seems lacking when he does it. Oh well. It may not have been the best vocal, but he's still a cool person in my book. Randy likes it and says Luke is good at theatrical stuff. Paula likes it and says that's why she fought for him to make the Top 24. Simon says it was weak when compared to Freddie Mercury. Luke says last week he was 0 for 3 with the judges and this week he's 2 for 3, so he'll take it. Ryan asks America if they want to vote for "Dawson's Creek" before they bring up the phone number on the screen, which elicits a laugh from Luke.

Next up is Robbie Carrico, and before they get to the performance Ryan chats with Robbie about the whole issue of his authenticity as a rocker. Robbie says he's just being himself and that there are many different forms of rock, so if Simon doesn't get it he must be focused on only one style. He tells us in the intro clip that he drag races. That's cool, I guess. He sings Foreigner's "Hot Blooded," and my first thought when I hear it is "He's no Lou Gramm." Just like last week he gives a decent performance, but he's still too Daughtry Lite for my tastes. Randy says he doesn't know if the rocker thing is really for him, and Robbie looks like he's trying to hold in his frustration. Randy also says he was waiting for Robbie to "kill him" with the vocals (à la Daughtry, I suppose), and I get what he's saying there. Something just seemed to be missing. Paula actually defends Robbie, saying that he's the only one who knows who he truly is and that he shouldn't have to defend himself to anyone. She does criticize him a little though, by saying she thinks he played it safe. Simon says it was just OK. I actually feel bad for Robbie. It appears that his credibility will be questioned as long as he's on this show.

Danny Noriega's turn is next, and he tells us in the intro video that he used to be in a punk rock band with his best friend. They show photos, and it appears that his best friend is a girl, but he himself also looks like a girl, so who knows? He says they played one show and broke up because they were terrible. I'll bet there are people at home who now think Danny has more street cred than Robbie. He sings The Carpenters' "Superstar," and whereas last week's performance was ridiculous, this week's is just creepy. The camera zooms up on Danny's face closer than I care to look at him, and his phrasing during the verses is weird. To quote my mother: "Gag me." Paula and Randy both say he overthought his vocals and didn't let loose enough. Simon says it wasn't fantastic, but better than last week. I say he has an interesting personality, but I can live without him.

Next is David Hernandez. He tells us that he used to do gymnastics. I can believe that, since he does look like the athletic type. He sings The Temptations' "Papa Was a Rolling Stone," and to be honest, it's the best performance of the night so far. I can't find any real criticism except a few notes that weren't pitch-perfect (as if any performance on this show ever is). The judges all love it, and Simon compliments David for taking criticism well and using it to improve himself. I have to be honest about something; In light of the recent rumors about David I sort of have mixed feelings about him (go search the internet if you want to know what they are, I won't discuss them here). On this show though, he comes across as really likable, and his singing is great. He still has my vote for now.

Now we come to another of my initial favorites: Jason Yeager. He tells us he can play several instruments. He'd like to play guitar during a performance sometime this season, but he's waiting for a "killer song" to do it on. I hope you get the chance, Jason. He sings The Doobie Brothers' "Long Train Runnin'." He misses a few notes, but I still really like this guy's tone. My mother comments that he seems to be going for a disco style with his clothes and the dancing he does at the end. Once again Jason comes across as a bit cheesy, but it's good cheesy, doggonit. Randy says he didn't pick a "singer's song," and that it seemed like a karaoke performance. Paula agrees about the song not showing off enough range. Simon pulls out his old Taylor Hicks line about Jason seeming like a drunk guy at a party. He goes on to say that Jason is a good singer but a bad performer. Jason seems a bit dejected after the judges' comments, and Ryan chats with him for a minute. Jason says he put a lot of thought into his song choice because he was trying to change it up after last week. He picked The Doobie Brothers because they've got soul, and that's what he's all about. It's interesting that Jason said in his website interview video that his favorite past Idol was Taylor Hicks, and now he's performing with the same mentality and getting the same criticisms as him. I gave Jason the biggest share of my votes this week.

Chikezie is up next. The interesting fact about him is that his name is Nigerian (as is he), and that it's actually pronounced differently than how we all say it. He sings the Donny Hathaway version of Ray Charles' "I Believe to My Soul." He puts his own name in during the "when you know my name is" line, which Paula points out is a clever reference to Simon not remembering it. His performance is much better than last week's, as he's actually on key this time and really owns the stage. Chikezie is right up there with David Hernandez as the best of the night. The judges all love it, and Simon even brings up last week's orange suit. Chikezie says he still loves that suit, but that he can't wear the same thing twice on the show. Just when it looks like he's redeemed himself for last week's attitude, he can't resist taking a jab at Simon's wardrobe by adding "Only you do that!" Poor guy. He comes across as really likable in his interviews, but he seems like he can't keep his sarcasm under control. I feel you, buddy. At least this time he immediately apologized. He also gives props to one of the backup singers, who is Donny Hathaway's daughter.

Overpimped rocker David Cook tells us in his intro video that he's a "word nerd". That's interesting, since I'm one of those too. I wouldn't spend so much time on these recaps if I weren't. Still, I have no desire to vote for David. He plays the electric guitar (left-handed, no less) for his performance of Free's "All Right Now." He seems more comfortable with the guitar, but my mother thinks it overpowers his voice too much. I think his performance is OK, but nothing particularly interesting. Randy talks about how David is "our real rocker from the boys," which I assume is an indirect attack on Robbie. Paula loves it and reiterates that David is "the real deal." Simon says it was solid, but that David himself lacks charisma. I agree with that completely. David then talks back and says that fortunately his job is to win over America, not Simon. Bad move, dude, but good for those of us who don't want to see David go far in this competition. I'm sure he's a good guy, but he's got all the personality of a paper towel. I want to watch people who are interesting.

Finally we close with (surprise, surprise) our giddy youngster David Archuleta. I don't like to get too ahead of myself, but this guy is definitely the favorite to win right now. The girls start screaming for him as soon as Ryan announces he'll be performing after the break. His interesting fact is that he met the finalists from the first season of "American Idol," which we diehards once again already knew. They show the now-famous YouTube clip of him singing "And I Am Telling You" to them and Kelly Clarkson congratulating him on how good he is. For this performance he sings John Lennon's "Imagine." I'll admit I don't like this song, but I actually like David's version. He does an outstanding job with it, a hundred times better than Blake's version last year (not to mention Jennifer Hudson's ridiculously oversung version from Season 3). Unlike last week, I really get the hype about David this time. Randy says he did a great job, but asks why he skipped the first verse. David says he wanted to include the third verse, which is his favorite. I think it might also have to do with the fact that David is Mormon and singing lines like "imagine there's no Heaven" probably don't feel right to him. Paula is crying, so she loves him. Simon tells him he's the one to beat in the competition. I can't disagree at this point, but I still wonder if I'm the only one who thinks he looks and sounds like a miniature Eric Carmen.



Prediction time!

Probably Going Home

Jason Y.
Luke

Also Vulnerable

Robbie
Danny

Probably Safe

Michael
Jason C.
David H.
Chikezie
David C.

I'd Be Shocked

David A.

Whom I Voted For: Jason C., Luke, David H., Jason Y., Chikezie. Basically, I voted for the same people as last week minus the two that went home and plus Jason C. Hopefully we can get one of these "rockers" bounced. Sadly, I won't be surprised if both guys who get eliminated on Thursday are ones I voted for.

Tomorrow the girls perform. Hopefully my mother won't fall asleep halfway through this time.

No comments: