Wednesday, February 20, 2008

Top 12 Guys Recap

At long last we get what we've been waiting for: the performances. For the first time in "American Idol" history the Semifinals have a theme: the 60's. I just used the same punctuation mark in two straight sentences: the colon. While it disappoints me that the contestants won't be showing off their individual styles in the Semifinals like the old days, at least we the viewers finally get to vote. Will this season live up to the hype? After all, we've been beaten over the head with the fact that this is the most talented Top 24 in the show's history for the last month. I'll do my best to give my honest opinions all season. My mother and I watch the show together, and she makes observations that are worth sharing here at times too.

Ryan starts out the show by reminding us that the stage is a "platform that will launch someone into superstardom." "Idol" has probably already picked out that person, but that's beside the point. He introduces the guys, presumably in the order they'll be performing. Chikezie Eze is now going only by his first name and Michael Johns apparently has the pimp spot (what a shocker!). Ryan asks the judges what they're looking for. Randy says originality, which is ironic, since it seems that the most original contestants got cut in Hollywood. Paula makes a joke about Randy's use of slang, and Simon just gives a generic answer about originality, personality and good singing. Nothing to see here, folks. Before the first commercial break they show us a montage of the guys being said "yes" to set to Blake Lewis' "Break Anotha." They must really want people to think that song is good.

First up is David Hernandez. I guess they like putting the Latin guys first, since Rudy Cardenas went first last year. He sings "In the Midnight Hour" by Wilson Pickett, starting off slowly and then picking up the pace. His facial expressions remind me once again of Rudy, but to his credit, he's a lot less cheesy and sings his song much better. Randy says "it's on!" Paula likes him. Simon says it was better than he expected, but that he didn't think it was very distinctive. Honestly, I like this guy. He's got a great voice and seems to have a humble personality. I'd say he has the potential to be my horse in this race if some of my other favorites get eliminated.

Next up is the newly surname-less Chikezie. I kind of liked this guy based on what I saw previously, since he seems to be sort of an old-school soul singer. He sings "More Today Than Yesterday" by The Spiral Starecase. He slows the song down a bit and changes the phrasing and melody. Chikezie is off-key from the first note, and I'm not a big fan of this arrangement. I want to like him, but this performance didn't do him any favors. Randy and Paula both give it a lukewarm review, and Paula comments that Chikezie has lost weight. Is that why his voice isn't as good as what we heard before? Simon (despite accidentally calling him "Jacuzzi" at first) brings the truth and tells him that it was terrible, criticizing his clothes in the process. Chikezie tries to talk back to Simon by making some comments about his wardrobe, and later, while talking to Ryan, makes some snide comments about how hard it is to be current on 60's Night. I hate to say it, but this guy is digging himself into a hole. Talking back to the judges and performing poorly aren't good ways to make people want to vote for you. Throw in the fact that he's performing early in the show, and I think we already have a good candidate for Thursday's trip home. Then again, he's the only black male contestant, so that might help him stay around.

Before they go to the next performance they do a short interview with Colton Berry, where he jokes about his resemblance to Ellen DeGeneres. It's interesting that they're actually commenting on these contestants' lack of airtime.

Next up is David Cook, the rocker with the dumb-looking hair. He sings "Happy Together" by The Turtles. He starts the song slowly, and already I'm starting to wonder if slowing down songs is going to be a running theme tonight. He later starts "rocking out," which makes my mother cringe and comment that his singing is "too affected." Something about his singing reminds me of Denver, lead singer of The Mile High Orchestra. I think it's that "push the words out" phrasing he employs. Randy and Paula both like it, which tells me already that David's going to be one of the pimped ones. Simon says it was "almost believeable" and Randy throws in a reference to Alice in Chains. I didn't like it, but he'll probably gets votes based on the judges' comments.

Next up is another member of the no-airtime crew: Jason Yeager. I said before that I liked him based on his interview, so now I finally get to learn something about him with the opening clip. We find out that he's a singing server and has a son. Interesting. He chooses "Moon River" as his song, and sad to say, he flubs it by losing the beat several times. His voice reminds me of Phil Stacey's at certain points, though overall I wouldn't say he sounds that much like him. Whereas David Cook sings like Denver, Jason actually kind of looks like him. Randy advises him to concentrate more. Paula says the song has sentimental value to her, since she did her first ballet recital to it. Jason says he chose it because it reminded him of his grandmother. Awwwww. Simon says the song makes him seem older and that the performance was very "cruise ship." The judges get into a weird discussion about dogs before it's all said and done. Jason seems a bit cheesy to me, but hey, I'm a cheesy person too. I'm voting for him.

Now we come to Chris Daughtry soundalike Robbie Carrico. He's pretty open about his pop past and the fact that he once toured with Britney Spears. He deserves a cookie for his honesty. He mentions that in Hollywood he did the Fuel song "Hemorrhage." Considering Chris Daughtry did that song on "Idol," he's not doing much to come across as original. He sings "One" by Three Dog Night, and I'll admit he does a very good job with it. Still, I'm not a fan of the "modern rock" Robbie evidently wants to make, so he can get his votes somewhere else. One thing I'll give him though, is that he's better than David Cook. Randy likes it, Paula says it a was a little over the top, and Simon says it was the best performance of the night so far but that he's still not convinced Robbie is a true rocker. Just what we need on "Idol": a debate about musical credibility.

Next up is semi-plant David Archuleta. I guess he's not so bad if "Star Search" is the extent of his previous experience, but I'm probably not going to vote for him unless he's the least "planty" of the remaining contestants. He's really nervous and giggly in his introduction clip, which makes my mother comment that he seems "innocent and real." I'll admit his dorkiness is somewhat endearing. He sings "Shop Around" by Smokey Robinson and The Miracles. Personally, I find his tone weird. It has sort of an Eric Carmen quality to it. I like Eric Carmen, but David's voice doesn't seem to fit the song. Overall, his performance is all right, but I don't think it's anything earth-moving. Randy and Paula both talk about how mature and brave his performance is for someone his age, which seems to be an early clue that David will be getting the same types of comments as Jordin Sparks last year. Simon says it was the best of the night and that David has "got it." Ryan lets David bask in his pimpedness for a few moments before they go to a commercial.

Next up is Danny "Don't Ask, Don't Tell" Noriega. He talks about how he made it to Hollywood last year, but failed because he tried to create an image for himself that he thought would be more what they were looking for. Now he's just being his flamboyant self and wants his performances to be "hot". He sings "Jailhouse Rock," which shouldn't have been an option for this week seeing as how it's from 1957, and it's just weird. His voice is too nasal to fit this song, and my mother comments that he definitely doesn't come across as "hot". Randy says it was "kind of hot," Paula says it was "very warm, almost scalding" (huh?), and Simon says it was "verging on grotesque." Danny makes weird faces while listening to the judges, and when talking to Ryan he says he thought it would be a fun song choice but that evidently some people (looking in Simon's direction) "weren't LI-kin' it!" Ryan tells him to be careful, because Simon might double-snap him right back. I'm sorry, but the gay innuendos between Simon and Ryan are just awkward when Danny's around. He'll probably be back next week due to Vote For the Worst's support, but he has to pick better songs.

Another guy with little airtime, Luke Menard, performs next. We find out that he tried out last year but didn't make it. He sings "Everybody's Talkin'" by Harry Nilsson. My mother really loves it, and I think he pulls it off well, missing no more than a note or two. Randy says he was sharp (as in off-key) and Paula agrees with him, leaving me utterly confused, as it sounded fine to me. Paula also comments that she likes his Kenny Loggins tenderness. Simon says whether he was pitchy or not (is that the first time Simon's used the word "pitchy?") he was forgettable, and I'm starting to think they're trying to anti-pimp Luke. Luke sort of talks back by saying he disagrees with the judges' assessment of him, but I don't think his comments are as bad as Chikezie's were. I just hope he makes it to next week.

Next up is theater boy Colton Berry. In his intro clip he mentions that he sings the "Teletubbies" theme in his head whenever he gets nervous. Is that another Chris Sligh-like dig at Simon? He chooses an Elvis song, this time one that's actually from the 60's, with "Suspicious Minds." It seems like the music and his vocals aren't mixed very well for some reason. This kid's definitely got talent, but his voice isn't quite at the level it needs to be to win this show. He missed too many notes for my liking. Randy says it started rough but he eventually found himself, Paula says it was nice but not his best performance, and Simon says he doesn't see Colton as a recording artist. He seems like a nice kid and I hope he sticks around, but I don't think he's in it for the long haul.

Now we have another unknown, Garrett Haley. Ryan gives Garrett a little pre-performance interview due to his lack of airtime. I guess Nigel Lythgoe might be listening to the complaints about our unfamiliarity with these contestants after all. Apparently they read the internet discussions, since Ryan brings up the talk of Garrett's resemblance to both Peter Frampton and Leif Garrett. Garrett seems like he wants to be funny, since he comments on how he also looks like Ellen DeGeneres and pretends that he just wants to talk to the camera. He sings the boring, slowed-down, loungy version of Neil Sedaka's "Breaking Up is Hard to Do." Honestly, he sounds like just another kid with a high-pitched voice. His singing isn't that great, and his personality is a slightly spaced-out version of laid-back. I think he may have been put in just to make the favored contestants look better. Randy says he needs to make the song his own. Paula says not to be afraid to tell Rickey Minor to speed up the song in the middle (a gimmick that's been used twice in this episode already). Simon tells him it was boring and that he looks like a shut-in. To his credit, Garrett doesn't seem to take himself too seriously and he accepts the criticism well.

Now we have the guy with dreadlocks, Jason Castro. He didn't get any airtime, but at least he now holds the distinction of being the first contestant in "American Idol" history to play an instrument with his performance. Guitar in hand, he sings The Lovin' Spoonful's "Daydream," which I suppose fits with his laid-back personality. My mother says his look doesn't match his voice, and I kind of agree. It's not the best voice, as he misses a few notes, but overall he gives a solid, fun performance. Randy says it was pitchy but all right, Paula says it blew her away, and Simon says it was one of the top two performances of the night and that Jason has "just got it." Not bad, especially since he says in his website interview video that he's only been singing for a few years.

Finally we get the guy "Idol" junkies are already predicting is this year's "chosen one," Australian Michael Johns. In his interview video he talks about how he's been in America for his entire adult life, which is obviously for the people who think it's improper that a non-American-born contestant is on this show. He sings "Light My Fire" by The Doors, and does his best Eddie Vedder impression in the process. Seriously, this guy is a total copycat. I'd think it was stupid even if he weren't one of the plants. My mother hangs her head when she hears it. Randy and Paula love it, of course. Simon says he doesn't think it was the best performance they've seen from him, but that he's "just got it." I guess "just got it" is going to be this year's judge catchphrase.

I'd say there are some definite talents in this year's group of guys, but several are a bit on the overrated side. There aren't many girls who interest me in this bunch, but perhaps I'll like some of them more after I hear them.

Now that I've recapped all the performances it's time for predictions. I'll divide them into four tiers.

Probably Going Home (I predict these two will be leaving)

Jason Y.
Garrett

Also Vulnerable (I could see these people going as well)

Chikezie
Luke
Colton

Probably Safe (I doubt these people will be leaving, but I wouldn't be completely surprised if they did)

David H.
David C.
Robbie
Danny

I'd Be Shocked (I would be amazed if these people went home)

David A.
Jason C.
Michael

Whom I voted for: David H., Chikezie, Jason Y., Luke, Colton and Garrett. Some of them gave bad performances, but I think they're all underdogs who deserve a second shot next week.

Check back for the girls' performance recap tomorrow!

No comments: