Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Top 10 Results - My Face Be Covered Wit' Egg

So we open the show with a Clash of the Titans-themed intro. Aren't these promotions just a little too in-your-face? Having Coke logos all over the place is one thing, but this...give me a break.

Instead of our group number we get Ruben Studdard, with his new song "Don't Make 'Em Like You No More." Dang, that guys gets skinnier every time he resurfaces! He's got himself here a fairly generic R&B song, nothing more than a pleasant little diversion. He sounds a bit sharp throughout the whole thing, but I'll give him a break, since he's still trying to get his music career started. Hey, apparently he's touring with Clay Aiken this summer! I guess that's to be expected with the careers of so many former Idols going down the tubes. I'm guessing more and more of these Idol reunion tours will be popping up over the years.

The Ford video is set to "Kung Fu Fighting." Huh. And here I thought that song was officially politically incorrect.

So the results are finally here. My Bottom 3 prediction was Tim, Didi and Siobhan, with Tim going home.

Lee DeWyze is rightfully safe!

Casey James is safe!

Aaron Kelly is safe!

Siobhan Magnus and Katie Stevens both stand up. Katie's in the Bottom 3 again while Siobhan is safe! Well, I'm 0 for 1.

The remaining five have to wait while their mentor from last night performs his new song "OMG," featuring Will.I.Am. Ahhh...autotune. Where would music today be without it? Why, in a much better place, of course! This Usher performance is nothing but a stage spectacle. The song is vapid lyrically and sounds like it was made by a computer. Why do people buy this stuff?

More results!

Didi Benami is in the Bottom 3! Called it!

Michael Lynche is safe after Ryan fakes him out! Sorry Kristi!

Crystal Bowersox is safe, of course.

Tim Urban and Andrew Garcia are the only ones left. Come on, we all know what's going to happen here. Andrew is safe, and Tim is in the Bottom 3...again. First back to safety is...Katie...again. Yaaaaaaawn. So my options are either look like an idiot when my pick to win goes home or say goodbye to the underdog I'm rooting for. My choice, if I were in control? Seeya Didi. Everyone already knows I'm an idiot anyway.

But first...Diddy-Dirty Money (Is that his name this week? I had no idea.) with "Hello Good Morning," another repetitive unmelodic spectacle that I could live without. I don't heed Diddy's instructions to turn up the TV or turn my lights off to rock with them. I'm perfectly comfortable in my seat, thank you.

Now we can dim the lights, because it's time for the (almost) final verdict. The person with the fewest votes is...Didi! Wow! Tim is safe again! For the save, Didi's going with "Rhiannon." That was probably her best performance, so I can understand her choosing it. Ugh. I really hate the Judges' Save rule. Did I ever mention that? Ooh, the judges are whispering to each other! Could it mean she's safe? Meanwhile, back on the stage Didi's too emotional to do the whole "redemption song" thing well enough. Her vocals are off and she looks especially desperate. The judges don't save her. Beckeye rejoices. Oh well. My prediction that she'd rise up and win made sense at the time I made it, and after her Rolling Stones Week performance it looked like it could be the beginning of what I'd foreseen. Unfortunately (for my ego), it didn't come to pass. I guess that means Crystal makes my finale after all!

Power rankings:

9. Tim Urban - I hope I'm wrong on this one, but...three weeks in a row surviving the Bottom 3? Clearly he's hanging by a thread. I can only hope his positive attitude is rubbing America the right way and he'll pick up support along the way.

8. Katie Stevens - Landing in the Bottom 3 and being totally forgettable aren't the keys to a long Idol run.

7. Aaron Kelly - Well, his mediocre performances have to catch up to him at some point! Right?

6. Siobhan Magnus - Same thing every week. I think she'll gradually lose the audience the way she's going.

5. Casey James - He's midcard all the way.

4. Andrew Garcia - I predict it'll take forever to get rid of this guy.

3. Michael Lynche - I guess he's probably popular enough to make it this far. Then again, he could just get this far because of a Syesha Mercado-type black-vote thing.

2. Lee DeWyze - He fits the mold of most recent winners: talented but under-the-radar early on, then starts stepping it up in the Finals. The only reason I don't have him winning is because his style is too similar to David Cook's. America seems to like variety in its winners. I mean, which two winners would you say are the most similar? Maybe Jordin and Kelly?

1. Crystal Bowersox - I've been avoiding picking her to win, since the winners are never the ones who peak early (see: Chris Daughtry, Melinda Doolittle, David Archuleta, Adam Lambert) This season, however, seems to be breaking all the rules. What the heck. I'll put her as my winner.

Next week is Lennon-McCartney, which should be an improvement in song quality at least. Singing quality? No guarantees.

2 comments:

BeckEye said...

I rejoice because I no longer have to hear her affected vocals and see her constant crocodile tears. But I'm sad because I had her in my Top 5 in the Idol pool I'm in. There goes an extra point every week. D'oh!

Ian said...

That's the reason I don't play fantasy sports. If you worry too much about individual performances you lose track of what really matters: winning and losing.