Thursday, May 6, 2010

Top 5 Results - It Was a Very Good Show

After missing out on it last week, we're back to getting a group number! As you'd expect, it's a medley of Sinatra standards: "Lady is a Tramp" with Crystal taking on the titular role, "It Was a Very Good Year" with Aaron talking about "when he was 17," "I've Got the World on a String" and "Night and Day." Man, these songs are good! They remind you of how great it is to be an American!

The Ford video is set to "1, 2, 3, 4," though not the Feist song. Crystal gets some extra attention being the only girl and all.

We get a behind-the-scenes look at preparation for Tuesdays. I've heard about the stand-in judges for dress rehearsal, but I didn't realize they actually resembled the real judges and gave comments. The clip of fake Randy is hilarious.

Time for results!

After much useless babbling, Lee DeWyze is safe! And...that's it with results for now.

Time for Lady Gaga with some song called "Alejandro." You know what? I don't care. Since I'm watching this on tape, I have the benefit of being able to fast-forward through this crap!

We get more behind-the-scenes stuff about Harry Connick Jr.'s mentoring sessions. This guy is one seriously sarcastic dude. Fortunately, the Idols seem like they can hang with it. After the clip Harry performs one of my favorite Beatles songs, "And I Love Her," in a cool, jazzy crooner style. He even gives props to his saxophone player after his solo. Now that's classy! Then, in a twist, the Top 5 follow shortly with a medley of Harry Connick Jr.'s own songs. Wow. When was the last time we had two group numbers in one results show? Season 3 or thereabouts? If I knew any of his songs I'd identify them for you. For what it's worth, they sound like songs I'd potentially enjoy listening to. Afterwards the Connick-ster shares the funny story of the first time he met the man himself, Frank Sinatra.

Finally, more results!

Crystal Bowersox is sent to the far side of the stage.

Michael Lynche is sent to the near side of the stage.

Aaron Kelly joins Michael.

Casey James joins Crystal.

Lee is then asked to choose which group is the safe group, but he refuses to comply, as often happens. Seacrest wisely lets it go and doesn't try to create any drama. The Bottom 2 is...Michael and Aaron! Ha! I knew Casey would be safe after being so far below his usual standard! Of course, I had him in the Bottom 2, so maybe I shouldn't get too cocky.

The one going home is...Aaron! Well, that wasn't much of a surprise. Even though I liked him best last night, he clearly wasn't a contender to win. Good luck, Aaron. We won't be missing much without you next week.

Power Rankings:

4. Casey James - After his fans rushed to his defense this week, he'll almost certainly experience a crash next week.

3. Michael Lynche - This is the only spot left for him by my calculations.

2. Lee DeWyze - Clearly he's being pimped for the finale.

1. Crystal Bowersox - True, her last two performances haven't rated that well with the general viewership, but I think she'll bounce back after a brief lull.

See you next week, when "Songs of the Cinema" gets unearthed from the messy closet of themes yet again! Jamie Foxx will join the elite two-time mentor club as well! That'll look good on his resume!

1 comment:

BeckEye said...

You're not gaga for Gaga??

I've seen the list of songs for next week. It's going to be a craptastrophe.