Thursday, March 26, 2009

Top 10 - Is it Too Early to Declare Adam the Winner?

It's Motown Week! They haven't done one of these in a while, but a lot of AI standards have come from the legendary Detroit R&B-pop scene. Tonight we'll see a bunch of them rehashed and try not to get too bored.

Ryan mentions the shocking elimination of Alexis Grace last week. Yeah, it was so shocking that I totally called it on my blog. Either I'm one of the best Idol analysts out there or I got reeeeeeally lucky. OK, maybe that "one of the best" thing is an exaggeration, but I don't think it was luck. I put a lot of thought into it. Anyway...

The Idols were flown to Detroit, where Berry Gordy and Smokey Robinson gave them a tour of Hitsville, U.S.A. Lucky dogs. That's some history there. Being a contestant on this show must be awesome.

After performing at or near the end of the show for two straight weeks, Matt Giraud gets to see what it's like on the other side. He's doing "Let's Get it On." Oh, brother. This song has a lot of soul as well as a lot of cheese potential, so we'll see how it comes across. Matt starts at the piano. Will he be called out for it like Scott was last week? Perhaps not, as he moves out from behind it once the chorus gets here. Weirdly enough, I sort of like this. I don't know why, but I do. I still don't like Matt himself, but this performance entertains me. Randy says Matt is challenging for the top spot. I've had him at the top of my power rankings for a long time now, so if he wins this thing I'll point you to my blog and show you how awesome I am. I never get anything wrong ever! Kara thinks the girls want to get it on with him (somebody wipe that drool off the table, please) and likes how he came out from behind the piano. Paula says he showed a sexycool (I think that was meant as one word) vibe. She also says that too many people overdo their riffing, but his are good. Pssssh. Have you already forgotten his "Who's Lovin' You" from the Wild Fraud Show? Simon says it was a brilliant song choice and he's now a frontrunner. Just like that, huh?

Kris Allen's song choice is "How Sweet it Is (To Be Loved By You)." He's got his guitar again. Jason Castro and his constant use of the guitar kind of annoyed me last year, since it served as a symbol of his being nothing more than a marginally-talented college kid who got a lucky break. Kris, on the other hand, really seems to bring some artistry with his guitar. He does all kinds of starts and stops to the song and gives it a really cool vibe. His vocals are spot on too, although the final glory note is kind of weirdly shouted. Kara says he made his own mark on the song and did everything right. Paula says he's coming into his own and she's proud of him. Simon says it was good, but Kris needs to start believing in himself. He adds that you have to be conceited to be a star. Randy says he's hit his zone and needs to stay in stride. Kris says he appreciates the feedback about believing in himself but isn't sure about the conceitedness. Good for you, Kris. They often flash to shots of Kris' wife in the audience during the criticism. She's pretty. That Kris is a lucky guy. I'm confused though. Is the message here "don't vote for him ladies, he's taken" or "look at him and what a nice, grounded guy he is"? I guess viewers will interpret it however they want. I like the latter interpretation.

Remember last week when the judges told Scott MacIntyre to change it up and come out from behind the piano? Well, Scott's being true to himself and staying there! If he's going to change it up it's going to be from that bench! Instead of the slow song route, he's going uptempo with "You Can't Hurry Love." Sorry Scott, but I can't think of this song on "Idol" without remembering Brandon Rogers' infamous flop that got him eliminated. He has the backup singers standing next to the piano for visual appeal. I guess it's part of the whole Motown spirit or something. While I appreciate Scott's attempt to go upbeat, his vocals just don't carry this song well. His phrasing doesn't flow. I love the grooviness with the piano, but without a good vocal it feels too choppy. It's one of those half-good, half-bad performances. Paula says the singers by the piano brought new life to the performance. Simon thought it was completely the wrong song choice and seemed a bit cheap. Randy compares it to a hotel performance (great, he's taking after Simon). Kara says the idea was good but the execution was bad. The judges upstage the contestants once again when Paula pulls out crayons and a coloring book to give to Simon. Get it? She's calling Simon a child! Why don't they focus on judging and not stealing the spotlight from the singers?

What's horseteeth Megan Joy going to butcher this week? Only Stevie Wonder's "For Once in My Life"! I love this song! Why does this annoying girl get an opportunity to sing it on national TV? Her phrasing and pronunciation are obnoxious as always. We hear about someone she's "netted" so long, and judging by her pointing, that someone warm like Simon is apparently what made her dreams come true. She's barely singing. It's just annoying half-talking. Then again, people thought Jamar Rogers was good, so perhaps some people will like this crap. Randy calls it a train wreck. Kara says "My Guy" would've been better for her and starts singing it. Careful, Kara! You just cost the show money! I agree though, that "My Guy" would've fit Megan's style better. Paula agrees with the bad song choice criticism but adds that the camera loves her and she's beautiful. Blah blah blah. Who cares? Her looks are overrated. Simon calls it horrible and says she's in serious trouble.

Anoop Desai is doing Smokey's own "Ooh Baby Baby." Nice suck-up job, Anoop! Smokey says the song started as an accident. Interesting. Anoop starts the song sitting on the top step. Uuuugh. Something isn't working on the chorus. Either he's off-key or his falsetto tone just isn't working. I can't tell. He has some good moments later on where his voice is more powerful, but the chorus is the most important part of the song. If you're going to have trouble, have it in the verses. Of course, no trouble at all is ideal. I like Anoop, but this didn't work as well as I wanted it to. Kara says it's a hard song to sing but she liked his chest voice. Way to say what I'm thinking, Kara. Paula says his phrasing, delivery and falsetto are spot on and sweet. Simon says it was a great vocal, but he looked like he was half-asleep. Randy says it was pitchy here and there and he wants him to turn it up next week. That might be a good idea.

Poor Michael Sarver didn't get to visit Detroit because he was sick. Awwww. His song choice is "Ain't Too Proud to Beg." My earlier Scott Savol comparison seems apt. Smokey advises him to be demanding and not sweet-talk, 'cause it's the last chance with his woman. Good advice. I hate when people obviously aren't thinking about what they're singing. Speaking of which, stop smiling, Michael! You're not supposed to be happy here! OK, last week I said he never seems trainwrecky even though he's not good. Well, this is trainwrecky. He looks too cheesy and his voice is too weak for this to be considered anything resembling passable. Hey, is that Rudy Cardenas among his friends in the audience? I doubt it, but it kind of looked like him. Paula says it was too Las Vegas loungy for her. Simon says he couldn't wait for it to end, that he was screaming and shouting the song and that he has no chance of winning. Oh, cut the crap. You could've told him the exact same thing in the Semifinals. Randy says the song was too big for him and it was corny because he tried to do too much with it. Kara isn't seeing who he is as an artist. Sheesh. The only reason he made the Top 13 is because you told America to vote for him. Good job, judges.

Lil Rounds is having an emotional week. Uh-oh. What happened? Oh, she was just really moved by the trip to Hitsville. Um, OK? That's cool, but why is that worth discussing here? Smokey says he's proud to know they left a legacy, as well he should be, but the only reason I can see for including this segment is to make Lil more likable and further anoint her as the last female standing. With a Motown-style hairdo and dress, Lil takes on "Heat Wave." As usual, her voice sounds slightly lacking, but for some reason I don't care. She owns it. At least the song gets your foot tapping. I think this is the most I've enjoyed one of Lil's performances. I notice she lets the backup singers sing the high part while she harmonizes with a low note on the phrase "heat wave." She ends with her usual shouty glory note. Whatever. I'm in a good mood so I'll say this was very good. Then again, maybe I'm judging it leniently after the low bar set by the previous three performers. Randy says the beginning of the song was torture and it felt like she was rushing through the song. Kara says she was the diva everyone was waiting to hear (everyone?), but she doesn't think it was the right song and accuses her of screaming at parts. Gee, you just noticed how much of her "belting" is really shouting? Paula says she made it feel fresh and owned it. Lil looks upset because she apparently knows Paula's compliments are meaningless. Simon says the song doesn't give her a "moment." Argh. All night the judges have been criticizing song choices. It's such a lazy criticism. I swear these judges just say "bad song choice" whenever they can't articulate why they didn't like it. Lil responds to the mixed reviews with as much class as she can, and Paula says Lil should run for president. This of course prompts an "Obama!" from Lil. Very good, Mrs. Rounds. That's the reason we're watching this now instead of yesterday like it should've been.

Adam Lambert's song choice is "The Tracks of My Tears." Finally a song that hasn't been done on this show before! It only took us until the eighth performer! He asks Smokey what inspired the song, and Smokey says it was the idea that someone's cried so much that there are permanent marks on his face, which astounds Adam. We know Adam's an actor, but it's good to see a contestant who actually tries to understand what he's singing about. Adam's changed up his look this week, sporting slicked-back hair and a suit. He's going all-acoustic tonight too. All I can say is "wow." This is incredible. It's all sung in head voice, which is an odd combination with his look, but you can feel the emotion when he's singing. Smokey gives him a standing ovation. That's not just the best of the night so far, it's the best of the season. We haven't had any truly standout performances yet this year, but someone has finally broken through. Kara says he showed artistry. Paula says he's in his own league and brings an element of surprise. Exactly! Simon says Adam emerged tonight as a star. Randy calls it "the bomb." Even though Adam isn't my favorite, he's proving himself to be the most worthy winner. The guy can sing anything, he's shown more creativity than anyone else here and he's the type of contestant whose performances you actually remember. So many people think Danny's going to win, but does he make anywhere close to the impact Adam does?

Speaking of Danny Gokey, he's up next! He's doing "Get Ready." Well, at least he's not reprising his audition of "I Heard it Through the Grapevine." Smokey suggests that Danny sing the backing vocal parts. OK, cool. Then the song starts and...we learn he didn't take that advice. Are we allowed to start calling him "LaKisha Jones II"? Let's start with the positive: this song does make you tap your feet. Now for the negatives: he does a cheesy dance with the backup singers, uses awkward phrasing and sounds out of breath at times. Ah, what the heck. I kind of enjoyed it even if several flaws stuck out. I must be in a good mood to let this stuff slide like I did earlier with Lil. Either that or I'm just sick of complaining about the same stuff only to find that no one agrees. It's easier to sit back and try to enjoy it. Paula says he gives a first-class performance every week. Simon calls it clumsy and amateurish. Randy says he reminds him of Levi Stubbs. Huh? That's stretching it. Kara says it was good, not great. Man, I'm agreeing with Kara again. Should I be worried?

Finally, Allison Iraheta gets the pimp spot. She deserves it, because she's awesome (thanks for finding that, VFTW!). She's doing "Papa Was a Rolling Stone." The vocal is solid, but it's not as good as David Hernandez' version from last year (wow, how often do you get the chance to say that?). The final glory note is great. I think it's good, but I liked her better last week. Randy says it was blazing hot and that she's one of the dopest singers in the competition. Kara uses a Randy-like "What?" when referring to the fact that Allison was in the Bottom 3 last week. She goes on to rave about how great Allison is. Apparently Allison sounds like she's been singing for 400 years and has a gift from God that you can't teach. Wow. Over the top much? Paula has a moustache from the crayons she gave Simon and thinks Allison is awesome. Simon says it was one of her best performances. Alright already. It was good, but it wasn't as great as the judges make it out to be. Let's just keep Allison in this thing for a long time. OK, America?

Ryan talks to Smokey and Berry. Berry says he was blown away by it all and Smokey says they were all awesome. How generous of them.

My performance ranking:

Adam (10 out of 10)
Matt (8.5 out of 10)
Kris (7 out of 10)
Lil (6.9 out of 10)
Allison (6.1 out of 10)
Danny (6 out of 10)
Scott (5 out of 10)
Anoop (4 out of 10)
Michael (1.5 out of 10)
Megan (1 out of 10)

Prediction:

OK, this is tough. I think I'm going to reason this through like Mike V. over at American Idol Addicts.

We had two trainwrecks in Megan and Michael that were far worse than the rest of the crop. What Not to Sing's "Sesame Street Effect" could come into play here. Michael and Megan's fans know their favorites are in trouble, so they might vote a little harder in order to save them.

I believe Lil, Danny and Adam all have fanbases big enough to carry them for a while.

Matt had the death spot, but he did well enough and got pimped enough that he isn't going anywhere. Allison got the pimp spot, so she'll be fine.

Anoop has a strong fanbase and got some pimping despite the fact that I found him forgettable.

That leaves us with Kris and Scott. Scott was forgettable, and Kris was good but went fairly early. I'll pick them both to end up in the Bottom 3 by default. I think they'll be joined there by one of the two trainwrecks. Michael's fanbase is likely to step it up after he was in the Bottom 3 last week, so I'll say it's Megan (I think she was worse anyway, so that works out well).

That leaves us with:

Bottom 3: Kris, Scott, Megan
Going Home: Scott

I get the impression that America's pretty much over Scott. He does the same thing every week and his vocals aren't good enough. Last year I got the Bottom 3 and elimination exactly right in the Top 10, so maybe I'll get lucky again this time. Of course, that was the week we lost Chikezie and I'm still bitter about it to this day. It's hard to say I was truly "lucky" on that one. Of course, I wouldn't mind being right this time, since I can't say Scott interests me that much.

Whom I Voted For: Kris, Anoop, Allison (I'll probably only be voting for these three until they're eliminated)

Tomorrow we have a freaking all-star lineup! Stevie Wonder! Joss Stone! Smokey Robinson! Ruben Studdard! I'm actually looking forward to this one! As long as Anoop or Kris doesn't go home (I'm not even worried about Allison) it should be a good night!

2 comments:

BeckEye said...

It's so painfully obvious that Adam should be the winner. TOO obvious. Therefore, he probably won't win.

Ian said...

Becky - Unfortunately, I agree. Part of the problem with being different is that a lot of people are going to hate you for it. Win or lose though, Adam's going places.