Thursday, March 19, 2009

Top 11 Results - So Much For That Staffer

In our show's intro Ryan says the results may shock us. Wow. Could my Alexis prediction come true? I hope so! After introducing the judges he reminds us of their power to save a contestant once this year. Interesting! Please be Alexis! If they have to have this stupid new rule let's get it out of the way early. I mean, you know they want Alexis to go far.

"T-R-O-U-B-L-E" is the group number, and they solve their Scott problem by having him play the piano while the rest move around the stage. That's actually quite sensible. You know what's really annoying? The group numbers just aren't as fun this year. All they do is sing in unison. Where are the solos? Where are the harmonies? Not that those ingredients are absolutely necessary (check out the Soul Medley ranked #2 in my post from this weekend), but they do tend to add to the fun. "Hot N' Cold" was the only good group number this year. The rest are just lip-synched mediocrity.

During the commercial we see Kristen McNamara's audition where she sings "Black Velvet." I hope we eventually get to see all the Top 36 members whose auditions we never saw. How will we survive without knowing what Jeanine Vailes sang for hers?

This week's Ford commercial/video/excuse to goof around on camera is a water balloon fight set to "Here it Goes Again." That's by OK Go, right? I don't care enough to look it up.

We see a video of what happens after contestants get eliminated. I've heard about these farewell dinners, but now we finally get to see what they're like. So emotional. Lots of tears. I can imagine.

Ryan chats with the contestants. Alexis talks about how much she loves Jasmine Murray. Michael talks about how hard it is to be away from his family. His daughter even asked him why he didn't want to be with her. Awwwwwww. Megan feels better today. They wore masks in rehearsal to keep from getting sick. If everyone gets sick these next few weeks are going to be interesting.

Time for results!

Danny Gokey is on the tour! Of course.

Lil Rounds is safe! Boy was that a tense moment for her!

Anoop Desai is safe! Anooooooop!

Allison Iraheta and Michael Sarver get to stand up together. Paula, who do you think is in the Bottom 3? Paula says no one in the group deserves it, but chooses Allison between the two of them. Huh? Allison rocked it! Michael...didn't. Surprisingly, both are in the Bottom 3! I mean, Michael doesn't surprise me, but Allison was the best of the night in my opinion. I guess my hunch about her not having a strong fanbase is proving itself correct. If Kris is the last member of the Bottom 3 this show is officially rigged.

Before we finish up the results, Brad Paisley in da house! I've been out of the loop with country since I no longer have cable and can't watch CMT, but this new song is pretty good. It's no surprise that he's one of the best artists in country music today. Ryan pretends to give Brad the results of the voting as soon as he's done performing. Uh, yeah. Not that funny.

Back to the real results.

Scott MacIntyre would love to go on tour, and he'd better pack his bags, because he'll be there!

Megan Joy is on the tour too. Big whoop.

Matt Giraud got the pimp spot, so obviously he's safe too.

Kris Allen is in the Top 10! Congrats, dude!

It's down to Alexis Grace and Adam Lambert. Alexis has to be in the Bottom 3! Adam's got too big a fanbase to end up there this early! Simon refuses to apologize for his comments on Adam last night. Randy informs us the version Adam did last night was based on Jeff Buckley's version. Thanks for clearing that up, Dawg. And the final member of the Bottom 3 is...Alexis! Now if we can just get rid of her!

Who's going back to the safety of the couches? The crowd yells "Allison!" Good to see this audience has taste. They get their wish! Allison's safe! Whoo-hoo! If she'd gone home this show would've been a fraud. So who's leaving? Michael or Alexis? We'll find out after a duet between Carrie Underwood and Randy Travis!

Carrie and her post-Idol success get a lot of pimping, and like Kelly last week, she's happy about being back on the stage that launched her to stardom. Randy Travis says he has no technical knowledge of music and couldn't give much advice to the contestants, but he had a lot of fun doing it. That seems to be the plight of many an Idol mentor. The "I Told You So" duet is really nice. I'm sure my sixth grade teacher would tell me that's lazy writing, but it's about all I can say.

Back to the results. Ryan asks Simon about the Judges' Save, and Simon says there's one contestant in the Bottom 2 that they'd consider saving. Gee, I wonder who that would be? The verdict? Michael is...safe! I knew it! Alexis is the lowest vote-getter! Did I call it or what?

Now she has to sing for her life! According to Simon, if she doesn't do well here she won't be saved. Sheesh, who could perform under that kind of pressure? She looks like she's about to cry the entire time. Perhaps that's just the emotion the song needs! Just as Alexis is desperate to stay in the competition the singer in the song is desperate not to lose her man to Jolene! I can't wait to hear her supporters say that when the judges save her.

Are the judges going to save her after that distraught performance? They say no! Whoa! And here I thought they wanted her more badly than that! Well that's a relief! One less annoying contestant to sit through and no more jerky hand motions or dirtiness! Of course, they probably wanted to save their gimmick for a few more weeks to keep the tension going during farewell performances. Just another way for the show to toy with people's emotions.

Next week we're going to be preempted by the president. "Idol" will be on Wednesday and Thursday nights again. Sigh. First the World Series, then "American Idol," then "American Idol" again! You are not bigger than these events, Mr. President!

Power Rankings:

10. Megan Joy - Her minimally-talented butt is toast next week.

9. Scott MacIntyre - People already seem to be getting sick of him.

8. Michael Sarver - Nice guy, but not good enough.

7. Anoop Desai - Did very well this week, but I don't think he's consistent or strong enough to make it deep into the competition.

6. Kris Allen - May have a bigger fanbase than I realized.

5. Allison Iraheta - Not quite pimped enough, but good enough for the "opposite gender" slot.

4. Danny Gokey - Shocker!

3. Lil Rounds - The diva vote will keep her around as long as she delivers each week.

2. Adam Lambert - Enough fans to get to the finale, enough anti-fans to keep him from winning.

1. Matt Giraud - What Not to Sing had him as the highest-rated performance last night. I was surprised too. For some weird reason people like this guy and nobody except me seems to hate him.

Next week the theme is Motown! Joy of joys!

4 comments:

BeckEye said...

I'm not convinced that the version of "Ring of Fire" was Jeff Buckley's. After the show, I scoured the Internet, looking for any shred of proof that such a version existed and came up with nothing. Unless it was an obscure live version or something, I think maybe Randy was saying that it sounded like a Jeff Buckley version of the song. I don't know. But if it really does exist, I'd love to hear it.

Ian said...

According to MJ's Big Blog it was actually based on a version one of the contestants from "Rockstar: Supernova" did. I don't know a lot about Jeff Buckley, but I thought he was a folky guy, not someone who experimented with Middle Eastern music.

Unknown said...

Adam's Ring of Fire keeps growing on me. I'm not sure who did it first but I would have never heard it had it not been for Adam. You did call Alexis. Let's hope Michael is history next week.

Ian said...

I wouldn't mind seeing Michael go next week, as I'm not that attached to him. Still, he doesn't bother me nearly as much as Megan has since Day 1. Of course, if Megan goes we'll be down to seven guys and two girls. I miss the gender-balanced Finals. We have too many guys in this Top 13.