Wednesday, March 26, 2008

Top 10 Recap

Wow. This will probably not be remembered as one of my favorite weeks this season. Several people I don't like got good comments, and my favorite guy in the competition may be in danger. The theme is songs from the contestant's year of birth, and as people all over the internet have been saying, it's essentially another 80's week. I didn't love any of these performances, but I enjoyed watching my favorite people perform again.

First up is Ramiele Malubay. I think I have a new nickname for her: OSC, which stands for Overdone Song Choice. She did "You Don't Have to Say You Love Me", "Don't Leave Me This Way" and "Against All Odds" in the Semifinals, all of which had been performed more than once on the "Idol" stage. So which song does Ramiele pick this week from her birth year of 1987? Heart's "Alone", another "Idol" chestnut. It's that song every girl picks hoping it will give her a "moment" on the show, but it really only worked for Carrie Underwood here in America. Seriously, can't these contestants be more creative? As for the performance itself, I think Ramiele does a decent job with it. The vocal harmonies in the chorus take the pressure off the lead singer, and I think she pulls off the rest adequately. I wasn't blown away, but I'm glad Ramiele's trying to step up her game and challenge herself. Once again we see Danny Noriega in the audience supporting her. Randy, while he acknowledges that Ramiele is under the weather, says it was pitchy and not the right song choice. Paula says she gives Ramiele credit for being brave and picking that song when she was sick. Simon says he thought it was better than Randy said and that she'll get through. After the judges have spoken we find out that Ramiele isn't actually sick. So much for that sympathy you gave her, judges. Going first might make things hard for her, but I think the Filipino voters and Simon's endorsement will keep her in it.

Cody Lambert Castro, also born in 1987, is next, singing Sting's "Fragile". He seems to connect with the song well behind his guitar, but this dark stuff really isn't my thing. It's good for what it is, but I don't really have much to say about it. You know what I just realized? This is the third straight week where I haven't had much to say about this guy. He's actually starting to get a bit boring. While he'd be an interesting winner due to his lack of singing experience and goofy nature, I really can't see myself getting excited over anything he does with a music career. Randy says it was nice but not great. Paula says he was true to himself, but that he didn't do anything different. Simon says it was his second straight bad week, and that he needs to take the competition more seriously. I think Jason might be headed for the Bottom 3 soon, if not this week possibly the next.

Snoha is our third straight performer who was born in 1987. In the intro clip her parents say that when she was a kid she'd always get down on the floor and scream. That doesn't surprise me, as her performances these days consist mainly of screaming. She admits to being a crybaby and uses it as an opportunity to show us her creepy baby cry another time. Man, this girl annoys me. She sings "If I Were Your Woman", originally by Gladys Knight and The Pips but redone by Stephanie Mills in 1987. The intro sounds a bit off-key to me. Snoha's actress background is on full display, as she adds a sickening amount of melodrama to the song. The chorus has her usual nasal belting, and I still don't think I will ever like anything Snoha does. Randy says it was her best performance. Paula says it was a moment everyone will remember as when she became a dark horse in the competition. Simon says he didn't like it as much as Randy and that he thought the ending stretched the limits of her vocals. I'm worried that Snoha's going to keep getting pimped and that she'll stay in the competition longer than she deserves despite not having very many fans. Seriously, no one is talking about this girl. The only reason I've been able to put up with her this long is because I feel she doesn't have the fanbase to be a real contender. If the judges start trying to keep her in it this season's going to end up being worse than it already is.

Now we have Chikezie. He's singing Brenda Russell's "If Only For One Night", which was a hit for Luther Vandross in his birth year of 1985. There are a couple of minor pitch problems, but I really like Chikezie's soulful voice. There's nothing like a smooth R&B ballad. I'm worried that he chose a slow song that wasn't attention-grabbing enough, but I really do enjoy this performance. Randy feels it was "too old" and boring. Paula thinks he did a great job. Simon says he sang it well, but the performance was cheesy and not very original. Chikezie seems like he's trying to restrain himself from talking back tonight. I gave most of my votes to Chikezie this week, because I think he may be in trouble.

Next up is my other favorite, Brooke White. We find out in her intro clip that she can play the piano by ear. Pretty impressive. She sings The Police's "Every Breath You Take" from her birth year of 1983. She has to restart the beginning of the song after messing up briefly, which she's able to do since it's just her at the piano. I think this may be one of Brooke's best vocal performances. The band joins in the middle, and the song starts to deviate more from the original. As always, I enjoy Brooke. I'm not a big fan of this song, but she does a really good job with it. Randy and Simon both agree that they didn't like the band joining in at the end, but Paula says she enjoyed the performance more than last week's. Hey, is that Amy Davis in the audience? I'll bet 90% of the viewers have already forgotten her.

Up next is The Coaster. He's the only contestant born in the 70's, and he's doing the medley of Queen's "We Will Rock You" and "We Are the Champions" from 1978. From the first few off-key notes my mother labels it "not good". While I still think Coaster's voice is a bit annoying, I will say that this is probably his best performance, and I'm sure the judges are going to love it. Even if it wasn't as good vocally as it could've been the "rock star" light show will make it seem better than it was. Randy says it was his best performance. Paula says he finally found the right song. Simon says it was the first time he saw star potential in Michael and that it was the only memorable performance of the night so far. It looks like Coaster's going to avoid the Bottom 3 yet again.

Carpetbagger Carly is next. She's doing Jessica Sierra's signature song, 1983's "Total Eclipse of the Heart". Be careful, Carly. You're halfway to Sierra-ville already with all the drinking and tattoos. Honestly, this performance is bad. I still don't like the low tones in her voice, and there doesn't seem to be any real emotion in her singing. It feels like she's just yelling at us the whole time. For the last note she scrunches up her face and sort of squats. This girl gets more repulsive every week. Randy says he likes it but doesn't love it, and that it was a bad song choice. Paula loves it and says that Carly can do no wrong. Simon says it didn't quite work, and that she was too tense and uptight. I didn't enjoy it at all, but after last week's Bottom 3 "scare" (more like a glimmer of hope, as it was nowhere near as scary as watching Carly sing) she'll probably be safe.

Now it's Mini-Carmen's turn. He sings John Farnham's "You're the Voice", which was recorded by David Foster in his birth year of 1990. I've never heard this song, but he sings it all right. His facial expressions and voice seem a little weird as usual, but there's not too much to complain about. The song is your standard Up With People "let's all get along" type of tune. It's nothing you haven't heard before, but little David is in no danger of going home at this point in the competition. Randy says it was very nice. Paula loves him. Simon doesn't like it and says it reminds him of a theme park performance. Simon also says that he'd be surprised if Mini-Carmen chose that song himself. Is that a subtle reference to Archuleta's stage dad? We could be in for some drama this season.

The Mannequin That Won't Die is next, and she's doing Lee Greenwood's "God Bless the USA" from her birth year of 1984. Oh, man. This girl is smarter than she looks. She'll live to see another week by playing the patriotism card. Since this song is kind of country it fits her style. She's still the same robotic, unemotional, pitch-challenged Mannequin we've seen all year, but I have a feeling it won't matter because she chose this song. Randy once again thinks it was very nice. Paula says it was a good song choice and that Kristy's voice sounds stronger. Simon says it was her best performance and a clever song choice. I'm going to make a bold prediction: Despite Kristy's lack of talent she won't be in the Bottom 3 this week.

The pimp spot goes to The Combover, who's doing Chris Cornell's version of Michael Jackson's "Billie Jean". Sheesh, does he ever do a song that isn't rearranged for his alt-rock style? Combover gives us yet another dreary bore-rock performance, but by hitting some massive glory notes he manages to impress my mother. Look, the guy knows how to use his voice, but I have never been able to figure out the appeal of this style of music. The judges give him some heavy pimping. Randy calls him the most original, bold contestant they've ever had. Umm, no. He does the same thing every week. There's nothing original about this style of music at all. For crying out loud, even Blake Lewis (whom I loathe) was more original than this guy. Paula says she was blown away and then goes on with more talk about how he could win the whole thing. Simon says it was brave and amazing. Argh. It appears that Combover may be the new chosen one. I guess I can still hold out hope for a Daughtry-style shocker. As long as we're on the subject I want to say how much I hate Kurt Cobain and the entire worthless Seattle grunge movement. I grew up listening to the "oldies" station and continued well into my teens because all I'd ever hear on the current radio stations was dull, depressing crap. "Rockers" these days are all going down this boring "post-grunge" route started by Cobain's loser followers. Someone needs to come along and save the hard rock genre, because it's dying. I already miss Amanda Overmyer. She knew what rock 'n roll really was. Anyway, back to "Idol".

It's hard to predict the Bottom 3 this week, since some of the less-popular performers seemed to step it up and some of the more-popular performers seemed to falter. After giving it some thought I'm going to say:

Bottom 3: Jason, Syesha, Chikezie
Going Home: Chikezie

I hate writing that, as Chikezie is one of only two contestants that I look forward to each week. While I hardly think he gave the worst performance, I think the people who did worse than him all have stronger fanbases or were more memorable, leaving him as the one going home by default. I really hope I'm wrong, but someone I liked has gone home each week this season. It's really starting to depress me.

Also Vulnerable

Ramiele

Probably Safe

Brooke
Carly
Kristy

I'd Be Shocked

Michael
David A.
David C.

Whom I Voted For: Ramiele, Chikezie, Brooke

With all my favorites going home I have fewer people to vote for each week. It'll be sad but unsurprising if I'm left with only two tomorrow.

5 comments:

BeckEye said...

If Michael is a coaster, I want on. That's what I call a thrill ride.

Unknown said...

Is that ALL you think about BeckEye? I'm really just mad because my eye candy, Luke, turned out to suck at singing. Oh well!

You're right! We did think the same things...that's kinda creepy too! But not as creepy as Syesha!

THAT was Amy Davis. They showed her and I thought, "Gee, she looks familiar." LOL

Say "hi" to your mom for me!!!

Mike V. said...

very impressive bottom 3/elimination picking this week. I have to focus less on the comedy in my blog and put on my thinking cap again! lol

BeckEye said...

Yes, Kristi, that is all I think about. :)

Ian said...

Beckeye - Feel free to kidnap him. I'm tired of watching him every week.

Kristi - It's pretty obvious why Amy went home the first week: she just wasn't that memorable. Her not singing a single note in tune probably contributed to her downfall as well.

Mike - Hey, thanks for stopping by. I'm surprised I got everything right. I figured I'd be wrong on at least one of them. I wish it had been about Chikezie going home.