Tuesday, March 25, 2008

Welcome to My New "American Idol" Blog!

Greetings, fellow lovers of the internationally-famous karaoke competition!

I have another blog that I started for the purpose of writing about whatever was on my mind. However, it seems that it's mostly been used for my recaps of "American Idol". Since I spend so much time on these recaps I figured it'd be better to give the "American Idol" stuff its own blog and save the original blog for my personal stuff.

Since we're in the middle of Season 7, here are the links to the recaps I've already written:

Top 24 Preview
Top 12 Guys Recap
Top 12 Girls Recap
Top 24 Results Recap
Top 10 Guys Recap
Top 10 Girls Recap
Top 20 Results Recap
Top 8 Guys Recap
Top 8 Girls Recap
Top 16 Results Recap
Top 12 Recap
Top 12 Results Recap
Top 11 Recap
Top 11 Results Recap

If you're just discovering this blog, I'll give you a briefing of what goes on around here.

First, here are my nicknames for the current contestants:

Mini-Carmen - David Archuleta. His physical resemblance and vocal similarities to 70's singer-songwriter Eric Carmen led me to dub him thus. Seeing as how he's also a teenage Mormon from the state of Utah like Season 2 contestant Carmen Rasmusen, it sort of works that way too.

Carpetbagger Carly - Carly Smithson, the girl who can't stop talking about how Irish she is yet wants to win the title of "American Idol".

Snoha - Syesha Mercado was told she was in the Top 24 by Paula, who mentioned that the word "yes" was part of her name. Due to Syesha's vanity and strong tendency to oversing, I thought it was only appropriate to replace that "yes" with a "no", because that's what I say to her. Am I creative or what?

The Mannequin - Kristy Lee Cook. Her lifeless singing, lack of movement and so-perfect-they're-boring looks remind me of a plastic clothing model.

Cody Lambert - Jason Castro. If you ever watched the show "Step By Step" you may remember spaced-out cousin Cody, who looked and acted sort of like Jason (minus the dreads).

The Coaster - Michael Johns. He got tons of hype coming into the Top 24, but he's coasted along with nothing but bad-to-mediocre performances since then. Due to that initial hype (and the fact that women like to drool over him) he's still in the competition, but he's probably not good for much besides protecting your finished table from drink condensation.

The Combover - David Cook. If you've seen his hair you know why. Is there no limit to my creativity in coming up with these nicknames?

The other three remaining contestants don't have nicknames because I can't think of anything good for them. Coincidentally, they also happen to be my two favorites (Brooke White and Chikezie) and another that I've been voting for just because she's cute and brings a different look to the show (Ramiele Malubay).

For every performance show I predict the Bottom 3 and who'll be eliminated. I sort the rest of the contestants by how vulnerable I think they are. The categories (with descriptions in parentheses) are:

Also Vulnerable (I think these people could also find themselves in the Bottom 3)
Probably Safe (I don't expect to see any of these people in the Bottom 3, but I might be able to explain it if it did happen)
I'd Be Shocked (self-explanatory)

For every results show I update the Power Rankings, which tell you where I think each contestant is likely to finish based on what we've seen so far and why.

So now that you have a little introduction to my "American Idol" blog, I hope you keep coming back to read my recaps and various other thoughts about the show. If you have a Google account, feel free to leave me a comment.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Your new blog is so shiny!! LOL

Ian said...

Thank you! I'll try to keep it polished so it retains that look.