Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Top 6 Recap

Time for yet another theme on "Idol" that doesn't particularly interest me. We're going Broadway tonight with the songs of Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber.

Snoha starts us off with "One Rock and Roll Too Many" from Starlight Express. I don't know the song or the play, but it sounds catchy. Lord Andrew says she could bring the house down. Snoha starts with her silhouetted back turned to the audience while snapping her fingers. Oh, great. Now she's going to steal from Chris Richardson? She really gives a performance this time out, flirting with Rickey Minor and the rest of the band. The vocals are off-key several times, but compared to her usual dull performances this is an improvement. It didn't bring the house down for me, but it may be enough to help her survive the death spot. Randy says it was her best performance to date. Paula thinks she did bring the house down. Simon says it was very sexy and agrees that it was one of her best performances. I think it was a bit overrated, but with this lackluster group you have to take whatever entertainment value you can get.

Ah, yes. It's time for The Code Man. He's singing "Memory" from Cats. Ryan chats with him before the performance, and as usual he seems to be off in his own world. He does have the funniest line of the night though, when he says "I didn't know a cat was singing it!" about his song. All Code Man can do with this song is sit there and sing it. On a technical level it's not good at all. He seems to be trying to put feeling into it, which makes it sort of work in his own dreadboy way, but without the guitar he just looks pained and awkward. I don't know what to make of it. I probably wouldn't choose to listen to this performance, but it wasn't as bad as it could've been. Maybe if I were familiar with the original I'd have some point of reference here. Randy says that vocally it was a trainwreck. Paula says it was a song meant for a female power balladeer, but she likes that he added his own unique style to it. Simon hates it, and he can tell that Code Man doesn't love it either. Code Man even nods his head in agreement when Simon says it was probably the longest two minutes of his life. Does this guy even want to be here anymore? Oh well. If they're doing a Bottom 3 this week he'll probably be in it.

Now it's the moment I've been nervous for since the beginning of the show: Brooke White is taking the stage. She's doing "You Must Love Me" from Evita. ALW tries to help her find the feeling behind the song, since he doesn't think she really understands it. After he helps her he says that this performance could potentially show us something we've never seen from Brooke. Oh boy. Please Brooke, come through for me. The song starts and then...she forgets the lyrics and asks to start over??? Brooke! What are you doing? This girl is a nervous wreck! After she restarts the performance you can't help but get the feeling that she's now more desperate to win us over because she knows she screwed up badly. It's just uncomfortable. It almost seems like she's trying too hard at times. Still, I think this is one of her better vocals, even if it isn't great. I do love you, Brooke. Even though you've lost a lot of fans over the course of the competition you'll always have me. Randy likes her vulnerability but says that vocally it was a bit rough. Paula says that she must never stop and restart, but that she liked the emotional connection. Simon says her vocals sounded strained and that it was uncomfortable. I fear that tonight may be the end for my girl.

Next it's Mini-Carmen. Ryan has him in the chat chair, but all he does is allow some girls in the audience to come onstage and give Mini-C a hug. Don't forget that, American tween girls. He's the one you're supposed to love and vote for! He sings "Think of Me" from Phantom of the Opera. The Webb Man is surprised to hear a male singer choose that song. Mini-Carmen starts out with just an acoustic guitar backing him, which actually gives it sort of a contemporary feel. Eventually the rest of the band joins in to give it the full Broadway treatment. My mother comments that it's too lightweight, and that his voice isn't as full as a Broadway singer's. That's true. He does have sort of a whiny tone. Overall this performance is just OK to me. This kid is basically a one-trick pony, and this week didn't show us anything new. Randy says it was the bomb. Paula says it was absolutely perfect. Simon says it was pleasant but one of his weakest performances. We all know he'll be back next week though.

Carpetbagger Carly is doing the title song to Jesus Christ Superstar. Everyone who reads this blog knows I can't stand this girl, and because she's the one singing I can't get into this performance at all. The song seems to fit her voice well, but once again there are times when I feel like she's just yelling at me. Carly does that way too much. My mother says she sounded out of sync with the backing vocalists during the chorus, and she's not sure if it was intentional or not. Randy says it wasn't her best but it was good. Paula says she loved what she did with the chorus. Simon says it was shouty at parts, but it was one of his favorites of the night. Carly holds up a t-shirt that says "Simon Loves Me (This Week)". Wow. How obnoxious and gimmicky can you get?

Finally, pimp spotting us out is Combover. He's doing "Music of the Night" from Phantom of the Opera. There's a funny mentor moment when Combover and Andy are singing together in a somewhat sensual way. Honestly, I find the vocals shaky. Combover's voice is gritty, and he misses several notes on this slow song. There's something about the way he pronounces his words that annoys me too. He finishes with a huge glory note, but my mother points out that it seems out of character with the rest of the song. Randy says it was an amazing vocal performance. Paula says it proves that he's a well-rounded performer. Simon says he made the most of the song, though it didn't show the side of him that he prefers. I think it was one of his weaker performances, but it doesn't matter what I think.

Let's get these predictions over with.

Bottom 3: Jason, Brooke, Carly
Going Home: Brooke

Also Vulnerable

Syesha

Probably Safe

David A.
David C.

Whom I Voted For: Brooke

Since this is looking like the worst season of "Idol" ever it's only fitting that Brooke will go home this week, leaving me with no one to vote for. I guess I can always join Vote For the Worst, though I'd much rather support a contestant I like than support a contestant just to mess with the show. I can't believe we're in the Top 6 and I'm already looking forward to Season 8.

2 comments:

BeckEye said...

The judges are getting more and more transparent. They all piled on Jason because they want him gone. His performance was not THAT bad. They didn't seem to care that Carly just shouted through her song and that David A garbled some words. Even with Brooke, it was like they were all choosing their words very carefully so as not to say anything too negative. Paula almost made the show run over into "Hell's Kitchen" time with her big chunk of dead air. I think your Brooke's safe. The producers/judges always get what they want and they want Jason gone.

Unknown said...

Brooke's performance last night was startling to say the least. I would have never guess in a million years that someone would have done that. But don't worry, I think Brooke is safe as well and it will be Syesha we say goodbye to. (Please make it so this week!!!)

Instead of looking forward to Season 8, you can look forward to So You Think You Can Dance like I am. It's a great show. I'm sure your mom would love it!