Tuesday, April 15, 2008

Top 7 Recap

Tonight the Idols pay tribute to the woman many credit with ruining singing: Mariah Carey. I guess your average pop music fan might be familiar with her songs, but I'm not your average pop music fan. I may not know her music that well, but I can look up the titles of tonight's songs as easily as anyone else can.

Mini-Carmen leads us off with "When You Believe", a song I'm slightly familiar with. Darn, Carly didn't get the death spot like I'd hoped. I guess they figure Mini-Carmen is in no danger and it's OK to put him here. This performance is OK. It's about what you'd expect from Archie: an "Up With People" song with a plethora of runs. I wouldn't call it one of his better performances, but it's good. He uses his head voice (erroneously called "falsetto" by most people) tonight, which is something we rarely hear from him. I'm not a fan of performances where the lead singer belts over the backing vocalists singing the chorus, but I'll let it slide since I sort of like this kid. Randy says it was the bomb. Paula says he did Mariah proud. Simon says it was very very good. They're really upping the pimpage for Mini-Carmen tonight. He'll be safe, as usual.

Next up is Carlybagger. Well, she got the semi-death spot, so I guess it's OK. They do a little interview with Carly before her performance, and all they can talk about is Michael Johns and his "shocking" elimination last week. Could we shut up about him already? He wasn't that good and he's not on the show anymore. What's the point? In the mentor clip Carly acts as if she's never met Mariah, even though she has. When will this girl go away? Her song is "Without You", originally by Badfinger but later covered by Mariah. My mother comments that Carly seems to be getting uglier each week. I can't disagree all that much. She also comments that the beginning of this song is too low. Her voice cracks several times at points where it's supposed to come through clearly, and even the parts where she sings well seem to be lacking something. Honestly, this performance is not helping her cause to stay in this competition. Randy says he likes that she challenged herself, and that it was pretty good. Paula says she showed some restraint. Simon says he doesn't think she pulled it off. I think Carly's in trouble again.

Snoha is next. She's doing "Vanishing". I don't know this song, but apparently it's a more obscure one. It's the same old Snoha performance we see every week: way too many runs and lots of belting. That seems to be all she knows. I don't like the sound of her voice either. Randy says she picked the toughest song so far, and that she did a good job. Paula says it was unbelievably magical. Simon says it was technically very good, but that it was risky to choose such an obscure song. I think Snoha may survive another week for the technical skill she showed, but the Bottom 3 is a possibility due to her practically non-existent fanbase.

My girl Brooke White has the next slot. Before they roll the clip they talk to Brooke about how she missed her sister's wedding. We also learn that the cardboard cutout that was supposed to be there in her place ended up not being made. She's doing "Hero", another that I'm actually familiar with. She's back behind the piano, which I think is where the magic happens for her. My mother says she's growing to dislike the cracking in Brooke's voice, and that she wishes the song were slower and sweeter. I actually like this performance a lot, and not just because Brooke's my favorite. There are the usual pitch problems, but she really makes this song her own. Why am I suddenly sounding like Randy? Anyway, I like it. Randy says he didn't like the vocals on the bridge, but it was pretty good. Paula likes it. Simon says it was like ordering a hamburger and only getting the bun; the meat was missing. Brooke looks bewildered by that statement. As usual, she'll be getting my vote, though she may be back in the Bottom 3.

The Mannequin is incredibly still in this competition, and this week she's doing "Forever". They show the clip of her singing to Mariah, and it's hilarious how bad she sounds. Mariah tells Mannequin that she gave her goosebumps. There are so many mysteries surrounding this girl that I'm not even going to try to figure out that one. The low beginning to this song is off-key, though she sounds decent when the song picks up. The unemotional belting is the only thing keeping this performance from being total crap, but it's still far from great. I have a question: Is every Mariah Carey song really boring? This has been one lackluster night so far. Randy says it wasn't amazing but that she stepped it up at the end. Paula says she was blown away. Simon says she managed with what she could, but it was whiny at times and not great. I think Kristy's in trouble, and this could be her week to go. I won't be surprised if she pulls through yet again though.

It's Combover time! He's doing the song "Always Be My Baby". I think I may have heard of this one, though I don't know how it goes or anything. Combover actually surprises me tonight. Instead of going grungy on us like he usually does, he sings over an orchestral arrangement. Finally we see a different side of him that isn't totally dull. Even though I don't know this song, it's kind of catchy. I never thought I'd say this, but for the first time I actually liked David Cook. I'd even say that he's proven himself to be better than Chris Daughtry. Randy says it was his best performance yet and that he's ready to make an album. Paula says it sounded like it could be on a movie soundtrack. Simon says it was a breath of fresh air. David is the most emotional I've ever seen him. I think it's partly because he got such good comments from the judges and partly because his brother, who has cancer, is in the audience this week. I still don't want this guy to win, but tonight he deserves all the praise he gets.

The Code Man gets his first pimp spot of the year, leaving The Mannequin as the only one who hasn't had it yet. His song is "I Don't Wanna Cry". He's not playing a stringed instrument this week, but there is a band onstage consisting of two guitars and an African drum. I'd say this is one of his better vocal performances, but overall it's just OK. Once again I have very little to say about Jason, since the performance didn't do much for me. Randy says he didn't love it and compares it to a weird beach luau. Paula says she'd love to be at that luau and thinks it was amazing. Simon agrees with Paula, saying it was a cool version. I wasn't blown away, but he'll be back next week.

Time for predictions!

Bottom 3: Carly, Brooke, Kristy
Going Home: Carly

Perhaps it's wishful thinking, but after two straight bad weeks Carly may have used up all the benefits of early pimping. She gets less likable all the time, so maybe (hopefully) this will be the end for her.

Also Vulnerable

Syesha

Probably Safe

Jason

I'd Be Shocked

David A.
David C.

Whom I Voted For: Brooke

I'd be lying if I said I wasn't a little bit nervous about Brooke's chances this week. As Michael Johns proved last week, anyone who's a Bottom 3 candidate can end up going home. Still, this season is already pretty much a joke to me. If Brooke goes home tomorrow I won't be totally shocked, since the people I like have been dropping like flies from the get-go. Even though I know Brooke won't win, she's the only bright spot left for me. I guess all I can do is give her a bunch of votes, which is exactly what I did tonight. Please, America. Keep her in this thing.

3 comments:

BeckEye said...

No, we can't shut up about Michael Johns. And by "we," of course, I mean "me."

Unknown said...

Loved your recap, well, everything except the love for Brooke. Can't help you there.

I totally forgot about those stupid 7 tattoos of Carly's. You are so right, going home tonight would be prefect!

I really do wish it was Syesha. Maybe next week I'll get my wish.

Ian said...

Beckeye - Since you may be the biggest Michael Johns fan who ever lived you're allowed to keep talking about him. Unless Michael is in the audience tonight we'd better not have to hear about him on the results show.

Kristi - Thanks! It's OK if you don't like Brooke as much as I do. She's just special to me. I think Syesha has a good chance of going tonight. She was the lowest on DialIdol, so it could be her time. Carly is the one I most want to see leave, but Syesha would be my second choice.