Wednesday, April 23, 2008

Top 6 Results Recap

All right, let's get this results show over with. Brooke White is probably going home tonight, which will leave me as a bored spectator who's only watching to finish what he started. It's hard when everyone else seems to want the only contestant you really like to go home. I'll never apologize for loving Brooke though.

After Ryan kisses Simon on the head we get a group performance of our Idols singing "All I Ask of You" from Phantom of the Opera. Hey, that was the song Carly was going to do last night but changed her mind on. The three guys sound weird singing together, since their voices are all so different. The three girls then sing. They also sound weird together, but not quite as much as the guys do. Lord Andrew Lloyd Webber plays the piano for them. It's a sweet performance. The Season 7 Idols still haven't topped the 70's Medley from the Semifinals, but it's a pleasant group number.

Ryan chats with Lord Drew a bit. He says performing on "Idol" is different from performing in the theater because they have to entertain both the studio audience and the home audience. He gives Brooke some props for her performance, saying that she was flawless in dress rehearsal. He doesn't think Jason took his advice at all.

The Ford commercial song is "Tainted Love". The commercial reminds me of a-ha's "Take on Me" video, which just happens to be my favorite music video of all time. I think I just confirmed everyone's suspicions that I'm a nerd with a cheesy sense of taste. At least I'm not ashamed to admit it.

We see a video message from President Bush and the First Lady thanking America for donating to Idol Gives Back. That's nice.

Tonight they're showing only the Bottom 2, not the Bottom 3. The first people called to the stage are Davids Archuleta and Cook. There's way too much pointless chatter with them before they're both shockingly declared safe.

They do their Alumni Spotlight again, this time catching up with Idols who've gone to Broadway. They do interviews with Tamyra Gray and Clay Aiken, who are in Rent and Spamalot, respectively. Clay's sense of humor always makes me smile, since he's a nerd just like me. Hey, LaKisha Jones is in the audience!

We see a performance from Simon Cowell's "discovery", Leona Lewis. I'm pausing the tape for this. I keep hearing about her, but I've never heard her single until tonight. It's actually kind of catchy, since I still have it in my head as I'm writing this, but it's not the type of thing I'd ever buy. The lyrics are a bit gory too. "Bleeding Love"? I'm sure several people have fainted listening to this song.

More results. Syesha Mercado and Brooke White are on stage next, and Brooke's probably going to be in the Bottom 2. They chat with them again, and Brooke apologizes for blabbering over the judges. I hope it redeems her in the eyes of some of the people who find her annoying, since this may be the last show where America sees her. Time for the moment of truth and...Brooke is safe!!!!! Syesha is in the Bottom 2! This is awesome! Now I get to be nervous for Brooke again next week, but at least I also get to see what she does for the Neil Diamond theme. I guess that hour I spent voting for her paid off.

Now it's down to Carly Smithson and Jason Castro. Some people insist Jason's going home tonight, but I think he has too many fans for that to happen. America voted and Jason is...safe! Carly's in the Bottom 2! Tonight we say goodbye to either Syesha or Carly! I can't lose! This went from being the end of this season for me to a great night! The Bottom 2 are both forced to perform their songs again. I guess if they have to fill up time it's better than sitting through the stupid phoned-in questions.

Finally it's time to send someone home. I hope it's Carly, but we've been teased with the possibility of her leaving several times already without it happening. Even if it's Syesha going home it'll be all right with me. Ryan calls Carly's name and tells her...that SHE IS GOING HOME! YES!!!!!! We're finally rid of the tattooed monster! This is the best moment of the entire season! Michael Johns' elimination was pretty cool, but this is incredible! I guess singing a song questioning Jesus Christ is not the way to win votes on this show. Carly is really smiley after learning she's going home. Good. Now I don't feel so bad about rejoicing over her ouster. See you later (though I hope I don't), you Irish terror!

Power Rankings

5. Brooke White - I'm thinking that the people who rushed to save her this week may not try quite as hard next week. I keep hoping she'll have a performance where she redeems herself and returns to "dark horse" status, but she keeps disappointing me. Maybe if the judges decide to start pimping her more she'll seem better to the audience. I'll be voting for her regardless of how she does. The not speaking while the judges are talking thing would be good for her to keep in mind next time.

4. Jason Castro - His lack of talent and carefree attitude are catching up to him. I think his days are numbered.

3. Syesha Mercado - How odd it'll be to see this fanbase-less contestant as the last girl standing. She's survived the Bottom 2/3 five times now, so she seems to be invincible.

2. David Archuleta - This week he actually wasn't in the green on DialIdol for the first time. He may make it to the finale, but I don't think he'll win.

1. David Cook - He seems to be the most widely-liked contestant, so I think we're looking at our next winner here.

Next week the mentor is Neil Diamond. Finally, someone whose music I'm familiar with and enjoy. I'm a nerd, remember? Actually, I'm not a huge fan, but I do like the songs of his I know. I wonder if anyone will tackle either of the hits he wrote for The Monkees? "I'm a Believer" and "A Little Bit Me, A Little Bit You" are both great songs. Whatever happens, I'm going to like next week a lot more now that the oversinging sympathy case is finally gone.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You should be ashamed of yourself. Look at the bunch of horrors you've written...