Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Top 8 Results - Surely the Things I Ask Can't Be Too Great a Task

It's time for the weekly result show, and Kris is currently at the bottom of DialIdol. I'm nervous. I've been fortunate that none of my favorites has been eliminated from the Finals yet. Tonight could be the first one.

Hey, Mario Lopez is in audience! Maybe next time we'll get Screech. I've heard he doesn't get along well with Kimberley Locke, though.

Ryan rolls a video clip from the year Simon was born. Hey, it's Frankie Avalon singing "Venus"! Great song! Then comes the twist. The screen opens up and the real Frankie Avalon comes out singing! Awesome! He's older-looking now than I realized. I guess he can't retain his youth forever. When will he mentor the Idols? If they had a "teen idols" theme or something he'd be perfect. Of course, he probably doesn't have much to promote these days, so it doesn't seem likely. Ryan asks Frankie when that song came out, and he tells us it was from 1959. Gotta love that year. Simon, of course, argues that he was actually born in 1969. You got it wrong, Simon. You're supposed to maintain each year that you're only 39. It worked for Jack Benny.

The group song is from AI's birth year of 2002: "Can't Get You Out of My Head." I'm not very familiar with this song. It seems like this might not be lip-synched though. If so, that's the best thing I can say about it. If it is, well, go on with your lives. Nothing much to see here.

We get the usual behind-the-scenes segment for the Ford music video. That's right, it's considered a music video rather than a commercial. It's filmed at an old Vaudeville theater, which Adam loves because it's right up his alley. The song is "Circus" by Britney Spears and the theme is a magic show. It's fun, I guess. It's more in the spirit of the classic Ford videos than some of the other crap they've done in Season 8.

Ryan chats with the contestants. He asks Adam about Simon's standing ovation and Adam can only say he's flattered. I still don't get the hype about that one. It didn't move me nearly as much as "The Tracks of My Tears" did. The mayor of Kalamazoo is in the audience to see Matt. Apparently he's an old friend. Sheesh. Is there anyone on this show who doesn't know anyone famous?

Bring down the lights, it's time for results.

Adam Lambert, Kris Allen and Anoop Desai all stand up. Adam is safe. Duh. One is in the bottom 3, and it is...Anoop. Whoo! Kris is safe! He just keeps on chuggin'! So much for DialIdol having him at the bottom! If Anoop goes home it'll be because of that shoutout to UNC. Mark my words.

Flo Rida is here to perform his #1 song, "Right Round." OK, this is one of the infamous ten crappy songs that pop radio plays on a loop all day, so I think I'm pausing the tape for this. This song is a poor recycle job of Dead or Alive's "You Spin Me 'Round (Like a Record)" except it's about raining money on a stripper. My father once told me that the late '70s was a really depressing time. He said you couldn't turn on the radio without hearing disco. I have to believe we're living in an equivalent era right now. The problem with this crap is that it doesn't all fall under some genre-specific umbrella that we can hope to wipe out in one fell swoop. Sigh. Ryan chats with Flo Rida afterwards and he promotes his worldwide tour. You mean they like this crap in other countries too? He tells us his album title ROOTS stands for "Rap of Overcoming the Struggle." Yeah, nothing honors a past struggle like glorifying a waste of money.

Back to the results.

Danny Gokey is safe. He smiles and gives another "yep, I knew it" nod.

Matt Giraud and his forehead mole are up. He's safe after Ryan tries to fake him out again.

Scott MacIntyre is in the Bottom 3, right where he belongs.

Our two ladies, Allison Iraheta and Lil Rounds are the only ones left. Ryan tries to fake out Allison before telling her she's safe. Yes! That means Lil is in the Bottom 3! Spout time! It only took four weeks of disappointing performances! I'd imagine even her fanbase is getting sick of her by now. Simon says there's one person in the Bottom 3 they'd definitely consider saving. Well, we know it isn't Scott. I'm guessing he means Lil. Why they'd consider saving her I'm not sure.

Kellie Pickler time! She sings her new song "Best Days of Your Life." Well, it's obvious she's not lip-synching, as she sounds pretty bad tonight. She's still cute, so that makes it bearable. She doesn't get as much chat time with Ryan as some of the other Idols have this year. I guess that's what happens when you come in 6th Place.

Meanwhile, back at the results...

One person's going back to safety, and it is...Anoop, stay where you are. Lil's headed back to the couches. Figures. She's not splitting votes with anyone. This toying with the contestants is getting old though. Knock it off, Ryan.

There were 34 million votes, and only 30,000 separate Scott and Anoop. Man, Anoop's fans sure do know how to make it dramatic. First it was close between him and Michael Sarver, now this.

The lowest vote-getter is...Scott. Wow. I was right for once. Scott sings "The Search is Over" again and sounds just as bad. Please don't save him, judges. He's not worth it. This is the best time for him to go out. He hasn't reached a completely embarrassing level of incompetence, but he had his first trainwreck this week. Let him go home before his "Idol" journey becomes a long-running disaster.

Simon says it's a tough decision. Two say he should stay, two say he should go. So...it's not unanimous? He's going? Simon goes on with some BS about how they have to consider if there are more-talented people sitting safely on the couches. Whatever. Stop dragging this out! Finally Simon makes the decision and it is: No. Finally! I was actually worried they were going to save him for a minute there. How disgraceful would that have been?

After his farewell video Paula tells Scott what an inspiration he is. That's nice, but do you ever wonder if Scott feels like he's being patronized a little too much? We all know blind people can be successful musicians, so it's not as if he's doing something we never thought possible. He seems like a good guy though, so I wish him the best.

Power rankings:

7. Matt Giraud
- I think he's due for another trip to the Bottom 3 next week. He barely missed it the past two weeks.

6. Anoop Desai - Being in the Bottom 3 two straight weeks will probably give him a boost next week. He'd just better not mention UNC.

5. Lil Rounds - Opposite gender slot. I'm superstitious about this stuff, I guess. Her long-overdue first trip to the Bottom 3 is a promising sign for those of us who want her gone.

4. Danny Gokey - His consistent averageness can't be helping him grow his fanbase. I get the impression that people are becoming bored with him.

3. Kris Allen - I think he's the Elliott Yamin underdog of this season.

2. Allison Iraheta - She's been picking up steam every week. I think more and more people are starting to love her.

1. Adam Lambert - Come on. He's by far the strongest performer. Kris went to the amusement park this weekend and the only thing the guy he met there wanted to talk about was Adam. Adam makes people pay attention. People remember him. That's crucial in a competition like this. If Adam can keep doing his thing I don't think any of these other contestants has the talent to keep him out of the top spot.

That's it until next week! The past two seasons I've been "won over" by a contestant in the Top 7. In Season 6 it was Phil Stacey and last year it was David Cook. Will Matt, Danny or Lil make me like (or at least tolerate) one of them next week? Stay tuned!

4 comments:

Blueprint Baby said...

Ok, I realize Adam has some sort of appeal, but I hate the way the judges and editing pimp him. They do that; it's like they pick who they want and shove him down our throats. Let him go on his merits. He's a performer, but I don't think he's the best. Allison is by far the best singer. But I'm not as delusional as Randy. I know it's not a singing contest. I think Matt and his mole are the sleeper. Lil is no Fantasia. Danny reminds me too much of Soul Patrol Man (who was not pimped by the AI gods and still won). I agree with you about Kris. He's consistently good. The judges are the MOST self-indulgent of them all so I don't get how they can call him self-indulgent. And Anoop. Well, he's representin' and I think he was brave to pick Usher.

Ian said...

BB - I would agree that Adam was overpimped this week. I'm seeing a lot of people on the internet who think it was his best performance yet, and even What Not to Sing has it as the first "showstopper" (90 or higher rating) of the season. I thought he did a good job, but "The Tracks of My Tears" was much more powerful. Then again, I think I just set the bar higher for Adam because I know what he's capable of. It's probably the same reason I'm charitable to Lil. While I don't like her, I don't expect much from her, so if she delivers a passable performance I perceive it as better than it is.

If it came down to an Adam-Allison finale (which would be awesome, I think, although the fact that they're both from California might prevent it from happening) I'd probably vote for Allison too, just because she's been one of my "horses" since the beginning and I like to support the underdog.

I had Matt winning the whole thing early on, but I don't think he's capturing people's hearts like some of the others are. I've heard Danny compared to Taylor Hicks several times, but I think Taylor was a much better singer and performer (not to mention more likable) than Danny is.

I could see Kris sneaking into the finale. As the strongest of the remaining southern contestants (Lil's mediocre and I just don't see Anoop as a real contender) he might pick up some votes over the course of the competition.

Unknown said...

An Adam-Allison finale would be AWESOME! I also agree with you about the Taylor Danny comparison. I just don't see it. Taylor wasn't a smug ass that alone should negate all comparisons.

Ian said...

Very true, Kristi. Danny doesn't remind me of Taylor at all. Taylor knew who he was as an artist, had a voice that sounded cool and actually looked like he knew what he was doing on stage. I can't say the same for Danny.

Right now I'd be shocked if Adam didn't make the finale. The only question is who'll be there with him. Like I said above, my only concern with Allison making it is that she's from the same state as Adam. Voter demographics always have to be considered. I know you're not a huge Kris fan, but I'd be happy if he made the finale too. I honestly don't think Danny has a chance, as he's stagnated for weeks and his personality can't be winning him any new fans.